Sunday, October 11, 2009

Real Models Have Curves

Did you ever think the day was going to come when you would see normal sized women in magazines? My very first blog I ever wrote was about Anorexic models. I got a really great response from Elizabeth. She told me a great book to check into which I am still in the process of doing. :) Then she told me to check out a article about Brigitte magazine. Brigitte is the best selling German magazine; which starting in 2010 they are using real, normal women for their magazine. The editor in chief, Andreas Lebert, said they were “fed-up” with retouching underweight models. They said it’s hard to make these models look like normal women. Lebert says, “We're looking for women who have their own identity, whether it be the 18-year-old A-level student, the company chairwoman, the musician, or the footballer." Some claim Brigitte magazine was trying to save money. In my opinion they are taking a stand which should have occurred long before now. I’m just glad with taking baby steps, and hopefully it will have a domino effect. I would one day love to see someone healthy and beautiful women on the cover of every magazine. Someone everyone can look up too and it would be a positive influence. I can’t wait till 2010 to see the first issue of Brigitte, even if I can’t read it. I would really like to thank Elizabeth for showing me this article. Till next time… :)

5 comments:

  1. im glad that someone is going to but normal people in magazines. I think that something i would like to see when it comes out and that book sounds good as well. How can we see this magazine? It sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so interesting to me because i was just writing a paper about how the really thin models affect the way people think of themselves. I read about a few restrictions that they've recently made that the girls have to be a healthy weight to participate. I agree, I'm fine with baby steps, and hopefully it keeps getting better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before we get too hopeful, take a look at this story:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/fashion/2009/10/14/2009-10-14_model_fired_for_being_too_fat.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you connect to a previous blog, a previous comment, and a real source, adding your opinions on the issue! I hope some of this will help with later writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not believe the Ralph Lauren Clothing Company! That is so ridiculous. 120 pounds! That's not even fat. If they want tiny girls go on pro ana sites!

    ReplyDelete